Here are a few tips from the Energy Experts you can use this summer to stay cool and comfortable at the lowest possible cost.
- Check for proper insulation in the attic and floors and good seals around doors, windows and ductwork.
- Check and clean or replace climate control system filters.
- Keep blinds or curtains drawn where the sun is hitting your house the hardest. This reflects heat away from the interior.
- As much as possible, use heat producing appliances early or late in the day. Such appliances include clothes dryers, dishwashers, and ovens.
- Use fans to circulate air. Make sure the blades are set to rotate in the proper direction for the season.
- Choose the highest comfortable themostat setting. For each degree you raise the thermostat, you can reduce the cost of cooling your home by as much as three percent.